Thoughts on a fantasy story that takes place in an urban setting? [POLL]

Hello,
Though I am currently writing a Sci Fi story currently, I am planning on writing another story after I finish the current one I’m working on. The story would be in the Fantasy genre and it would be about mermaids. I know a lot of mermaid stories take place in medieval times, but I thought it’d be interesting to have a story that includes mermaids in a more modern era. It would be considered an urban fantasy, which is a combination of supernatural elements in an urban (aka city) environment around modern times. I’m just wondering if it would be a good idea to set a story about mermaids in a more current era. It would be in a fantasy world (not on Earth), but still have modern themes.

Would you read a story about mermaids that take place in a modern era?

• Yes
  • No
  • It Depends
  • More information needed
0 voters

Oh this sounds good to me. Will it be sort of like the movie Splash? Where the mermaid tries to hide her tail from the LI? I always found that pretty interesting. You could also go a Siren route aswell.

Yeah, I am also playing around with the idea of mythological creatures or someone cursed in a more modern setting too in a future story. So I love ideas like this.