What do you not like in episode stories?

What are your turn offs for reading new episode stories?

3 Likes

Really badly butchered directing and way too many grammar mistakes :see_no_evil: :blob_hearts: I donā€™t mind basic directing if the story line is fab but if there are way too many mistakes it can take away from the story.

13 Likes

When an author says ā€˜this is my first storyā€™ or ā€˜it gets longer or more interesting In chapter #ā€™ bad directing makes me crazy and messy speech-bubbles are justā€¦ eh-

No character development makes me wanna cry and a ā€˜wanna be defenseless nerdā€™ and a ā€˜I can get all the menā€™ thereā€™s nothing wrong with being confident it just rubs me the wrong way :woman_shrugging:t2: and last but not least if the plot is boring and bad grammar I guess :relieved:

Choices? Donā€™t care
Cc? Donā€™t care

6 Likes

Hmm, stereotypes, really bad grammar, no character development. I find stereotypes really annoying, for anything. It also bothers me when their grammar is so bad to the point that I have to read three times to understand.

3 Likes

grammar / spelling thatā€™s bad, a plain storyline, unidimensional characters, a single plot, only one character perspective & something thatā€™s too cliche.

3 Likes

when the grammar is garbageā€¦that is the biggest turn off for me LMAO. I canā€™t take it. i also hate it when dialogue is just so cringe. I understand some parts are just going to be but for majority of the time the conversations should sound like real life conversations. OH AND INFO DUMPS I HATE INFO DUMPS :sob: :sob:

4 Likes
  • bad grammar/spelling
  • when the romance is too ā€œclicheā€ and rushed
  • when stories overuse themes (ex: bad boy meets good girl, rich billionaire and simple girl, mafia leader meets good girl, etc.)
    donā€™t get me wrong, thereā€™s nothing bad about these themes, but people overuse them too much
  • toxic relationships
  • boring mc
4 Likes

Bad layering. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

What are info dumps

2 Likes

instead of telling the backstory throughout the chapter thru actions , they just provide it all at one time

2 Likes

Holy crap. Where do I start?

ā€¢ When the author creates their own avatar to give the message a reader at the beginning of every chapter. The beginning of the first chapter and the frequently asked questions part are acceptable times to do this, but it shouldnā€™t go on for too long.
ā€¢ When the author tells you the point/message of their story right away at the beginning. They should really let the audience think for themselves.
ā€¢ When all the characters talk exactly the same way.
ā€¢ Sloppy directing.
ā€¢ Incredibly predictable plots.
ā€¢ When the author goes out of their way to write in a cliche. If a cliche fits into your story, itā€™s tolerable, but donā€™t force one in there.
ā€¢ Too many pop culture references.
ā€¢ Blatant misogyny/racism/homophobia/transphobia. Subtle misogyny/racism/homophobia/transphobia is worse, but Iā€™ll probably get farther into the story before I realize whatā€™s going on.
ā€¢ Characters whose lines are not believable. Like, if itā€™s not believable that they/anyone ever would say that.

Thereā€™s a lot more, but I have homework to do.

11 Likes

When you just get so much information, you canā€™t even process half of it. Basically usually when new authors just start the episode saying that the character lost her parents in a car crash now sheā€™s moved on and sheā€™s happy with her life then she met a man that ruined her life then she got pregnant-
Like chile. :skull::no_mouth:
Thatā€™s basically an example of it tbh. :joy:

3 Likes

A turn off for me is when an author says that itā€™s their first story and that their directing will improve and episodes will get longer. Not to sound rude, but Iā€™ve been there before and my episodes definitely didnā€™t get longer, nor did my directing. I had to work on those things before I started writing my actually published story so I didnā€™t look sloppy. Bad layering can set me off especially if itā€™s a kissing scene because itā€™ll look like the characters are kissing each otherā€™s clothes. Also, I donā€™t mind a little cringe but if it gets to the point where Iā€™m literally cringing for the characters, that story is cancelled for me. I also hate when the emotionally unavailable mc falls for the bad boy li in episode two. Thereā€™s a difference between fiction and horribly unrealistic plots.
Those are only a few of the things I donā€™t likeā€¦:joy:

5 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

all the HETERONORMATIVITY itā€™s very rarely i come across any lgbt representation on episode

2 Likes
  • Bad Directing
  • Bad Layering
  • Bad Grammar
  • ā€œThIs Is My FiRsT sToRyā€
  • ā€œThE fIrSt ChApTeR MiGhT bE sHoRt BuT tHeY gEt LoNgErā€
  • No TW
  • B a s i c plot
  • When it moves to quickly / slowly
  • Just a genuinley bad storyline
  • When people just add in a gang or mafia or something when they donā€™t need to
5 Likes