What was something that a parent did/ said that made you lose respect for them?

gasp. BIG APPLAUSE FOR THIS ONE! DAMM RIGHT!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::100::100::100::100::100::100::100::100::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Not really my parent but my aunt and uncle. Basically my uncle was married before to my other aunt who is like the nicest person on the planet. She struggled having kids and never got the chance and it was especially hard for her cause she wanted them more than anything. My uncle had a affair with my current aunt and they got pregnant. He left my other aunt for her. My mum told me how my aunt cried and cried for weeks after. I never knew that was how they got together until a few years back. My uncle and aunt aren’t really in my life but the nice aunt was a major part of raising me despite not being married to my mum’s brother anymore. I lost all respect for them after that, and to be honest dread when I have to see them knowing what they’ve done. They were largely forgiven my our family cause of their kids, but I still don’t want them around me.

4 Likes

To be honest, I’ve lost respect for quite a lot of my family members now I know more about them. Sadly I’ve got lots of stories like this, but knowing this makes me want to be a different, better person than them.

3 Likes

My mum laughed at me when I told her that I had been self harming for 5 years :confused: she literally laughed and said “you’re a f*cking joke”
YIKES

8 Likes

This isn’t about my family, even though they do have to faults of:

• Dad: Leaving us for 9 years
  • Mom: Trying to mold me to be like her
  • Mom: Not respecting my opinions
  • Mom: Not respecting my privacy
  • Mom: Still trying to baby me after I’ve grown

But, someone very close to me has had a lot of issue with his parents…
The latest being:

• Dad: “You’ve never been a handsome guy.”
    And in the past:
  • Dad: Hurt his pregnant daughter
  • Dad: Said that I was a bad mother
  • Dad: Told his son he had no talent
3 Likes

Jeez…this thread is depressing af. T.T

I’m one of those weird ass people that someone says something messed up to me and I’m just like, “whatever. Don’t care. Next.” I don’t even remember over half the messed up things anyone has ever said to me, including my family. But I tell you WHAT! I remember when they say something messed up to someone ELSE!! X’DDD

Like…my mom said one time to my sister, “Your dad doesn’t deserve to spend time with the grandkids! He didn’t earn it!” Pfft…Not a fan of my sister, but come on, Mom. eyerolls

4 Likes

Lol I read this in Hank Hill’s voice

1 Like

I know I made a thread about this but here it is:

When my mum said that mixed marriages don’t last long. Generalisation much?

1 Like

OMG that is messed up!

2 Likes

It is. And he’s still with us too.

That is so messed up. Why is he with your mum in the first place? He sounds like a sicko!

Sometimes my mom acts like she knows what’s best for my mental state. Or I can’t do things because I’m the “wild child” idk I’m not as close with her like I use to be over the years I’ve been told so many things. And my religion how I could be a better Christian or act too worldly now but I’m not even doing anything really :woman_shrugging:t5::woman_facepalming:t5: But hey just always getting judged.

2 Likes

I can’t really do anything about it… That’s why I don’t talk about my dad at all, @Chocolate_Mama.

2 Likes

I’m sorry he did that messed up stuff :expressionless:

1 Like

I still have respect for them, but they have majorly slipped up:

Breaking a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR promise

So, my dad promised me a while ago that he wouldn’t mess with my books, as long as I wasn’t reading really weird, inappropriate books. He did this because, since my mental health issues, I feel like I’m not in control of a single thing, and that everything is temporary, so he gave me my books as the one thing I could always rely on. He said that he did this because he loved me, and because he wanted me to feel the best I could. Every day, when something was taken away from me, I consoled myself, telling me that I still had control over my books and that it’d be okay. What does he do a few weeks later?

He deletes all the books on my kindle and takes away most of my books, leaving really boring ones behind. Why?

‘Because they’re too depressing’.

So, Harry Potter was too depressing, Eragon series was too depressing, the Twilight series was too depressing, heck, even the Percy Jackson and Diary of a Wimpy Kid series were too depressing.

Not being allowed to have my own opinion

My household is not somewhere you want to state your opinion, unless it’s exactly the same as my parents’, to the very last detail? Even just one tiny thing is different? You will get shouted at and attacked, and unless you lie and say you agree, you will die. Okay, you won’t die.

I’m not allowed to have my own opinion on anything. I can’t choose what I wear, I can’t think that something looks cute on me, I can’t think that a certain flower is a little wilted, I can’t think that maybe my sister’s bun is a little wonky. Nope. Nada.

7 Likes

I would never lose respect for my parents.

But i do hold a grudge against my mom for something…

Why don’t you do what THOSE girls do, They’re very talented

ehm no
I’m sorry but i dont wanna do that, i’m into gaming and martial arts not roller skater and ice skating.

I just felt like she expected me to BE something she wanted and not what i want and when i didn’t and turned out to be like my other sister and brothers i guess she wanted to try to make me.

2 Likes

That sounds… Wow.

And the second one, I can totally relate to

It’s ok.

1 Like

Oh… HE DID NOT.
The Harry Potter?! The Twilight?! And the great Percy Jackson?!
What’s so depressing about them? They are fictional books. Fantasy books.
It’s not like they were The Fault In Our Stars…

Sorry for my moment of wrath there but I feel you. I can’t imagine what would I do if my mum took away my books, I would literally turn into Hulk. It’s invading of privacy.

4 Likes

I know, right! Books are my life :sob: :heart:

3 Likes