Discussion: Religon & Culture

I’m a Sikh.
I follow Sikhism.
It’s a monotheistic religion where only one God exists and he is the supreme ruler of this universe.
So, Ik Onkar (ੴ) can sometimes be seen at Gurdwaras that I go to when I pray and it means there is one God.
Actually, since I can’t read Punjabi, my mom gave me English texts on prayers and it’s very beautiful <3
When I was younger, I would do a lot of seva at the Gurdwara. And one day, I want to go to the Golden Temple. I’ve never even see India. Actually, I’ve never even traveled outside of my country. I was born here and lived here for my whole life (and I’m continuing to live here). Hopefully, one day, I’ll get to travel :sunny:

My parents are from India (Punjab to be exact).

We also have some cool festivals.
There’s Bandi Chhor Divas (Diwali) which celebrates the release from prison of the sixth guru Guru Hargobind, who also rescued 52 Hindu kings held captive by Mughal Emperor Jehangir with him in the Gwalior Fort. We celebrate this by lighting divas. This year, my mom and I went to the temple to light it and then when I went to pray, I had to wait in the really long line.
On a side note, I just found it it’s actually called Bandi Chhor Divas this year, had no idea

Vaisakhi which is held in April is a very popular event that many go to. Sometimes, we even have nagar kirtans, which is a parade and there’s free food there ^^

Also, when you’re in the Gurdwara, it’s disrespectful to wear your shoes and leave your head uncovered.
And I’ve heard some people say it’s disrespectful not to accept parshad, but I don’t get it.

We also celebrate Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s Birthday, the founder of Sikhism (he’s like a father to me) He was very wise.

We do indeed hold a Gurpurab, which is a Sikh tradition, for a festival.

We also remember Sikh Martyrs (called a Shaheed)

We have a holy book in our religion “the Guru Granth Sahib” that we follow.

So, we had 10 gurus, and the last one decided it was the Guru Granth Sahib that we should follow.

In regards to an afterlife:

We Sikhs do not believe in heaven or hell. Instead, we believe in the idea of the soul reincarnating. So we believe that your actions in this life will determine what life path you will get in the next life (if you were bad, your next life won’t be good and if you were good, your next life will be great, etc) The purpose is to break this cycle (Motionless in White Break the Cycle’s stuck in my head) and unite our soul with God. We must keep the name of God in mind.

There’s some cool stories in Sikhism-like the the Panj Pyare (the five beloved ones) story fascinates me every time. (Ok, I really love the tale of Bhai Lalo’s honesty, Blood vs Milk)

Ok, some other facts about Sikhism:

There’s an oath that Sikhs take in which they must not eat meat and they can not drink alcohol and they must follow the five Ks:

1. Kesh (uncut hair)-men and women can NOT cut their hair.
  2. Kangha (a small comb)-used for the hair.
  3. Kara (an iron bracelet that goes on your wrist)
  4. Kachera (an undergarment worn by these Sikhs)
  5. Kirpan (a dagger that’s almost never used. Sometimes, there is controversy for this)

You can still follow the Five Ks or some of them even though you don’t take the oath. Like for example, I HAVE NEVER CUT MY HAIR. It’s super long and I get scared when scissors are near by hair because I really want to follow this rule. However, sadly I do eat meat : (
But hopefully, I can became vegetarian one day ^^
P.S I will never drink alcohol ever.

And we have a saying " “Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh”, which is very famous in Sikhism as well as " Sat Sri Akal" which used as a greeting. I’ve also heard this being said: “Bole So Nihal, Sat Shri Akal”, where one person will say the first line, and the others say the next line usually. Also, sometimes Bole is extended. I’ve seen my mom extend it in religious parades.

I forget to use this greeting (Sat Sri Akal) sometimes and get scolded for it lol

And we do have middle names. Singh which means “lion” is used for boys & men and Kaur which means “Princess” is used for girls & women. So yeah, Kaur is a part of my name <3 <3 <3

One thing about me is that my Punjabi isn’t very good, sadly, I can’t understand movies, news, music (except maybe a few words, sometimes, if I’m lucky, I can understand the whole thing) but at least I can understand my mom, so that’s good since she doesn’t know English. And we always have Punjabi Newspapers lying around our house so I’m totally clueless when I look at them hee hee.

I did take Punjabi school when I was younger and got the whole alphabet down, but then we ended up leaving the school before I moved onto forming sentences and yeah…I FORGOT EVERYTHING EXCEPT how to pronounce the first five letters and write the the first letter in the alphabet :sweat_smile:

Ok, not gonna lie but the amount of insults possible in Punjabi , oh man, there are so many, you can combine some, animals are used as insults (sorry animals, you cool) and Punjabi is way funnier than English, sorry English, still love you because I think in English and yeah :laughing:

Sometimes, people think I know how to speak in Hindi, even though I don’t and I’ve never watched Bollywood in my life :thinking:

Also, my favorite sweets are Kaju Barfi (Kaju katli) and I love Samosas a lot and when it comes to food shahi paneer and matar paneer make my mouth drool <3

Nope, we do not celebrate Christmas and when it comes to Halloween, we do celebrate it even though we don’t have to (my mom hands out candy)

Anyways, I’ll end here as I feel like I already talked too much :rofl:

Yes, I do love my religion a lot and go by it ^^
This was fun to share : )
Also, every other religion in the world is wonderful and it honestly makes our world so unique and cool <3

The Nishan Sahib:

The Khanda:

Other cool images:

Sikhism-Religion

sikh-kids

8 Likes