Discussion: What Needs To Be Shown More

@line123462
Agreed! They don’t have to look the exact same though like some people seem to think. My brother and I both have blue eyes but I have blond hair and his is dark brown. Neither of our parents have blue eyes they both have green but our grandparents have blue eyes. No family member looks identical to the other (besides of course identical twins).

@TheSunflowerQueen
Yes, yes and yes. Family is so important to so many people and seeing that in stories would be great!

6 Likes

I almost forgot about glasses. I would love to see more characters besides a stereotypical ‘nerdy girl’ wearing glasses. Roughly a third of the world needs them so why not add them to your characters?

9 Likes

I like to present you to my character Sonja, she can’t see without glasses

6 Likes

Glasses are really cool, especially regular ones. I tend to see mostly sunglasses if there is any glasses in a story.

5 Likes

I love her already! I can’t see without my glasses either (or I need to wear my contacts but ehhhhhh).

3 Likes

I use glasses too. 2 years ago I didnt use glasses, but know I use my reading glasses all the time. because I write all the time

5 Likes

I think something I wished could be easier to tell is whether the character is in college or high school. They’re different from each other, and I just never understand why there isn’t more of an obvious difference between them in stories.

5 Likes

It never really popped into my head but you are right. Most stories don’t specify and in the ‘episode world’ they tend to look the same.

1 Like

That’s why I plan on making sure I explicitly express that the characters in my story are college aged when I write my story. If a high school student was living under the roof of a strict parent or overly protective one, I don’t think they would be let out of the house with a crop top, short shorts, baggy clothes, and other stuff. There’s also a legality aspect to some things.

Since the majority of people in college are adults, they’re independent under law, unlike a minor.

4 Likes

Most people in my high school wear crop tops and short shorts (on the weekends never to school) and I’m a junior in a more old fashion type of town. :sweat_smile: :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

This thread is for what we as a community want to see more of in stories not for problematic themes. This is also for what we would like to see the problematic themes changed to. Check out this thread for that type of stuff.

2 Likes

Reading that passage reinforces a need for more healthy relationships that aren’t forced, manufactured, or unwanted.

5 Likes

Another thing that I want to be shown more is characters having personality outside of one thing. For example, I don’t understand when a character is constantly savage with biting remarks, and they’re supposed to be a confidant for someone. I don’t know how effective a person can provide emotion support when they’re saying stuff that’s sassy. Characters can be more complex and have hidden layers. Writing characters who are much more than their perceived label helps make them more memorable, reasonable, and lovable.

9 Likes

Absolutely! Characters are human and humans are soooo complicated. We are more than one label.

5 Likes

Life is complex and varied, leading to many possibilities that change someone and provide them motives, goals, talents, and aspirations. Side characters are just as important as the main character of a story because they build the story up and give new perspectives.

5 Likes

I definitely agree with more healthy relationships, more character complexity (for everyone, including but not limited to the main characters), and family relationships.

I’d also like to see more “bad” characters that try to become better people as the story goes on. Characters don’t have to be perfect, of course, and I find it better if they’re not, but it’s nice to see them try to improve themselves rather than just acting like being a jerk is their only personality trait.

7 Likes

SOLID FRIENDSHIPS

I’d like to see more stories about friendships in general. But even stories in any genre, I want to see real, deep, nourishing friendships between characters. These are such important relationships in our lives and I want to see more of them. I want to see how and why the MC and their friends care about each other so deeply. I want to see mutual support and reconnection after moments of discord, which happen in all relationships, even healthy ones. I agree with wanting more healthy, balanced relationships in general and of all types. But I just get so invested in friendships and I want them to play a central role in the development of different characters.

On that note - more fleshed out Friend characters. More consistent character development in general. I want characters who have flaws but aren’t complete jerks, and I want those flaws to be worked through with nuance so the characters’ journeys throughout the story make sense.

Nuance in general I would love to see more of lol.

19 Likes

I totally agree, sorry I totally just popped in and started reading the thread, but solid friendships are so much more deep then how it’s sometimes portrayed in episode stories!

4 Likes

If I can go on about something I wish I saw more of on episode :woozy_face:, (my English is very bad) I’ve been reading through this thread and I think one thing that should be more on episode story is empowering MC’s. There so many stories when the MC is just waiting Gang to sweep her up and save her from the terrible life she’s lives say an abusive relationship or parents that don’t care about her. And more often then not they usually end up whisking her away from reality where they end up falling in love and he protects her from other gangs or bad people. I find this very basic. I would love to read a story where the MC can handles situation without depending on her Li to do everything for her. Maybe it’s just me? I just think empowering people make stories seem more real. And no they don’t have to be a deadly assassin but can just deal with stuff on her own.

5 Likes

I’d love to see more comedy in stories. Tbh, I never have the patience to go through a story if it isn’t at least a little bit funny.

I just want more light, fun stories and less drama, I guess

6 Likes