Does it bother you when there's different BG styles?

Hey guyss, I’m wondering what your opinions are when authors use different styles of backgrounds throughout their story? Like if I were to use a more episode styled background and in the next scene use a ultra realistic 3D rendered background. Does it bother you? What are your opinions?

Personally for me I don’t see it done very often, which is why I’m asking - but does it deter you from a story? I don’t mind it honestly but let me know your thoughts!

• I don’t mind
  • I don’t like it
  • I don’t mind unless…(please elaborate below)
0 voters
2 Likes

I don’t mind as long as they are not that much different like not super super super super super cartoony and then Super realistic next.

5 Likes

I’m thinking like @/amepisode style and then switch to Wincy Writes style if that gives any context

1 Like

I don’t usually mind especially since I’m kind of doing that with my story.
It has to flow correctly, so if you’re using regular episode backgrounds and then moving to something super realistic like a photo then it probably won’t look very smooth, but if you’re using regular episode backgrounds and then detailed illustration backgrounds it flows a lot better.

Because episode backgrounds are illustrations you want to stick with other art that’s also illustrations even if it is a little bit more detailed because it will still flow. But if the details are too drastically different than it will look choppy and it’s just off putting because it doesn’t look right.

I usually think when I’m looking for backgrounds - “Will the characters look out of place in this background?”
If I think my characters will look out of place then I will choose a different background.

I also am not really a fan of the super cartoony backgrounds because I like reading limelight mostly.

4 Likes

I mostly like using episode background or realistic ones. I saw Wincy Writes background but idk what @/amepisode backgrounds look like. But i think you should use any kind of backgrounds you want cause at the end of the day it is your story.

2 Likes

Tbh I’ve been doing this and sometimes swapping police station BGs, hoping no one notices lmfao.

I’ve been wanting semi-realistic looking backgrounds over pure 2d/flat BGs, cuz it fits more in the tone of my story. Not like EpisodeLife BGs, but not quite flat or 2D.

Cheyara Skadi’s BGs are a perfect fit of what I’m looking for, or Elzbiet Zaleski’s :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I usually don’t mind unless there’s a big difference in the styles. As an author, I understand the pain of finding the best bg for every scenes.

It depends for me. I like both cartoony and realistic backgrounds, but I think context matters. I don’t like super drastic jumps from one to the other, and I feel like a story’s mood is important. I prefer cartoony backgrounds for light-hearted stories, while I prefer realistic backgrounds for more serious stories. Of course, this is a very specific (and probably unpopular) take. : )

2 Likes

For me I don’t like realistic backgrounds in episode stories because the characters are cartoony, having a realistic background is kind of jarring so I try to stay away from those as much as possible