FIFA World Cup 2018 Discussion ⚽

my mom went and left she is now praying for brazil to win

brazil must of not pratice they must of thought they don’t need pratice since there gonna win lol

BRAZILLLLL SCORED A GOALLLLL WOOWOowooeoeowwo

Brazil loses to Belgium 1-2. You know, honestly, I think Belgium taking the ‘harder’ route as some call it was a huge benefit for them, and a treat to the viewers especially. They knew what they were getting into, and they’ve taken the ball and ran with it literally the whole time. Belgium has always been a joy to watch in the World Cup this year. Even if they didn’t beat England in the closure of the group stage, they were going to have to face the best of the best down the line anyways. The harder the games, usually the better the matches, as it gets more competitive and fun. Their match against Brazil was no exception.

I don’t want to say that Brazil played terrible, because they actually played alright in this match despite some mistakes in my opinion… Nothing but classic, good ol’ Brazilian football as we saw here, especially with that goal they got:

Brazil is a special team. They’re good at what they do. Yes, they lost. Yes, they’re going home and won’t be advancing… but to be honest? I think there’s no shame in losing to a team like Belgium here, especially after the performance we’ve seen from Belgium. Belgium earned this victory. Brazil has stepped up their game since that horrible loss 4 years ago to Germany, 1-7. This was another painful defeat, but I’m sure they’ll pick up where they left off going forward. There’s always the next World Cup. There’s always improvements to make.

Brazil could have tied this and forced the game to go into Extra Time/Penalties, which I wrongly predicted. They made some mistakes, and accidentally redirecting the ball into their own goal didn’t help. They had several key opportunities for goals and a lot of very close ones, especially in that second half. Coutinho, Lukaku and De Bruyne were the standout stars for today in my book.

Good game. Personally, I liked it better than France vs Uruguay.

And speaking of France… the result of Brazil vs Belgium now sets us up for France vs Belgium as one of the matches in the semi-finals… gee, that’s gonna be such a hard match to call and to root for a team. Just like Brazil and Belgium, I want neither team to lose lol.

In my opinion, I think France vs Belgium will give both teams their toughest challenge in this World Cup - especially for France. This is going to be a very competitive match. For tomorrow, we got Sweden vs England and Russia vs Croatia to close out the Quarter-Finals. I wanna go with England and Croatia for these two games. But Sweden has been one of those dark horses in this whole tornamenet. Results should be very interesting tomorrow.

Hi there! I’m French and therefore a huge supporter of France. I’m very glad you support them , and it is very likely for them to win!

Could it really be coming home as they say? Haha. England has been confirmed to be in the semi-finals after defeating Sweden 0-2 which was highly expected and predictable. Personally, in my opinion, I felt that this game wasn’t the most exciting one; I started to get bored towards the end of the first half and all the way throughout the second half. But there were like two or three very good, very close, but limited opportunities for Sweden to get their goal but to be honest I didn’t feel the fire with Sweden here. England felt like they wanted it more. Just my observation and personal opinion. I think this was an alright game but a bit underwhelming.

Here are both of England’s goals; 1st one by Harry Maguire:

2nd one by Dele Alli:

We almost saw Sweden do their typical counterattack, but the English defense was stronger and better organized in my opinion. Sweden lacked the defense needed to save their chances. I must praise Sweden for making it all the way to the Quarter-Finals, though. I don’t think anyone saw that coming; including myself.

About 30 minutes away and Croatia vs Russia will be up next. I fully expect Croatia to defeat Russia, but I also expect Russia to take things seriously here and bring their A-game, taking it to Croatia as-well. I expected Russia to be knocked out in the Round of 16, but the results from back then were unpredictable. Besides, Russia is playing on their home turf. They don’t want to be embarrassed here and let Croatia pull a Germany as they did in 2014 against Brazil, especially with such a grand opportunity to get one step closer to the finals. So we could see some interesting stuff here, but Croatia is my pick to win this one.

I like the idea of Croatia vs England more so than Russia vs England. Seems like a more exciting match to me. But as always, we’ll see what happens.

I thought it was a pretty good game, we weren’t expected to win so it was great!
I need it to be England v Croatia so it’s me vs my good friend @Anyanka :joy:

And because I’m English I have to say Football’s coming home! :wink:

2 Likes

Russia 1. Croatia 1.

Both teams scored awesome goals in the first half. So far… Russia looks a bit more solid this time, but Croatia made a needed comeback. It’s almost like what they did when they faced Denmark. I’m rooting for Croatia too, but they gotta be careful here and keep the composure and pace.

I just hope that this does not go into penalty kicks again…

1 Like

Croatia don’t appear to be as tight and organised as they have been in previous games. Hopefully they can fix that for the second half.

I hate penalties, the anticipation is awful.

1 Like

Croatia seems to be turning up the heat in this second half… slightly more control from them
Several very dangerously close goals they could have got… if they keep it up they’ll get there eventually. Russia shouldn’t be losing focus unless they want to force this into penalties.

And yeah, penalty kicks are so tedious yet so engaging lol. I just hope it doesn’t come to that because there’s no reason for it; either team should be able finish the other without going into extra time or penalties but that’s what it looks like we’re headed for.

1 Like

There is definitely a clear improvement compared to the first half, for both teams. Croatia have kept themselves in strong formations and have almost woken up, Russia have have kept their pace but have become a little more strategic.

You don’t want to look but you can’t look away, it’s so annoying! Extra time is imminent, it’ll just be a question of if a team can step up during the 30 minutes extra time to score and if So, which team?

I think Croatia will still get it, if it doesn’t go to penalty kicks. If it does go to penalty kicks, then I’m not sure… I’ll still root for them, but I’m unsure because Croatia’s goalkeeper Danijel Subasic hurt his hamstring a bit with that save towards the final minutes of the second half. Russia will probably take advantage of that if it goes to penalties. So, I think that it is very crucial for Croatia to get it before penalty kicks. Even if it does get to that point Croatia should be fine, but there’s some uncertainty with Subasic. I just hope we get an ending without penalty kicks…

1 Like

I agree, they will definitely play to exploit the injury, most likely aiming for the bottom right so it makes things more uncertain and difficult for Subasic. It’s anyone’s game at this point, I definitely want Croatia to win but Russia have been playing on point throughout so it will be a waiting game to see who plays just that little bit better

1 Like

Woah, Croatia just scored! It’s 1-2 now. Pretty good on them. Croatia had the right mindset by getting that goal in early during extra time and did very good… Now they need to defend really good until it’s over, and they should stay focused and not get cocky to keep it this way if they want to win. It’s still pretty crucial for them to not get complacent at this point. Would be a shame if that happend. Russia on the other hand, should try something different and try to increase the pressure a bit more, in my opinion. Not much time left but anything is possible at this point.

Noticed Subasic in pain again. Can’t be good if it goes to penalties. The next 15 minutes are so important for Croatia. If they stay on their game, Russia may not be able to counterattack, in which Russia is fully capable of… they just have to stay focused and not get distracted by the potential glory of moving to the semis.

2 Likes

Haha when you hear a “GOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL” from the other side of the country… god, I was cheering for Brazil, but got out from Sweden… :cry:

1 Like

Totally cheering for them (Croatia)! Russia’s coach just gives me the creeps… :tired_face:

Penalties is definitely more of a possibility now as Russia have just scored. I think with Subasic and his injury, penalties aren’t something they will come out of very well. They have around 5 mins to pull it back :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

The moment Pivaric committed that handball and the penalty kick was awarded to Russia, I knew it was going to be a goal. Saw it coming so bad. This is not good at all for Croatia… we are defientlty going into penalty kicks now unless a miracle happens within the next 2 minutes or so.

1 Like

Yeah, there was just a minute left… but then Russia had to ruin it. :persevere:

1 Like

Not really a minute, more like a couple of minutes…