Help with props/overlay/zoom

I am new to creating Episodes. I have already viewed many tutorials and guides. However, I do still have some questions.

For my characters’ actions must it be repeat every single time, is there is no way for it to be continuous other than the fact that is loop?

I want to have a scene where my a ball hit my character in the face. However there are no overlays for a ball. There are only in props. Must props be held by hand only? Can you only animated overlay?

I want to zoom on another zone from where the character is standing, can I do that? I want to zoom in on the ball hitting the main character, but it is coming from zone 1 while she is standing in zone 3.

Also if from the beginning of my story, my zoom (zoom#1) is on so that the characters will be closer to the screen, then I zoom(zoom#2) in on another, can my zoom setting be reset to the zoom#1 that I had.

If you do want to repeat the same animation over and over, you could do

&CHARACTER is animation THEN CHARACTER is animation THEN character is animation
CHARACTER
So, what do you think?

What this would do is make the character do the animation as many times as you want while they talk. But I think doing a different animation for each speech is better as it looks like effort has been put into each line.

For this, uploading a ball overlay is ideal, and the only way to do the scene you want to do. Props are only things held in hands which also pair with animations. E.g. Baby swaddle with baby animations, glass cups/icecreams with cup/stemware animations, gun prop for gun animations, and book prop for book animation etc.

You would need to get a ball overlay, upload it, and then animate the overlay to do what you want.
You would have to:
-upload it
-spot direct it
-shift it and move it to where you would like it to hit the person
-there are many guides to overlays if you are unsure, but I know you are familiar with guides so you’ll have no problems!

This may be bad practice of mine, but I never specify zones! (like cut, or pan) Only sometimes.
I always put the zoom I want, and if I need a character in zone 3, I move the camera over there, spot direct the character, and copy the zoom so I can use it later in the scene :sweat_smile:

In your case your character is in zone 1. I would do &cut to zone 3 and then copy the zoom I want. Once I get up to the scene in zone 3 where the ball hits someone in the face, I would slowly drag the ball overlay from zone 1 to zone 3, copy the new shift numbers and then set it a time.

So imagine this ball is in zone 1 where the person starts with it:
&overlay BALL create
&overlay BALL shifts to 0 0
&overlay BALL scales to 1.0 1.0
&overlay BALL rotates 0 anchor point 0.5 0.5
&overlay BALL to layer 1
&overlay BALL opacity 1

&cut to zone 3
@zoom … … …

&overlay BALL shifts to 56 567 in 1
@CHARACTER is slap_receive_whatever_animationlol

So the ball moves to hit the person in zone 3 in the face in 1 second. You could also do this using effects such as “easein” or “easeout” to give the ball more effect.

@overlay BALL shifts to 56 567 in 1 using easeout

Here’s a link to different types of zooms!
HOW TO: Different Types of Zooms - Creator’s Corner - Episode Forums

If I’m understanding correctly, you would like the same zoom in zone1 in zone2, but it won’t be doable as the zoom in zone 1 has different coordinates and is limited to zone 1. You would have to do a new zoom to your liking in zone2.

Let me know if I missed anything, and I hope this made sense.

1 Like

Everything is making sense a little bit to me now. How do I upload my overlay? Do I have to upload an original art or can it be a picture online?

1 Like

You goto the Art Catalog and upload your overlay there:

You can upload anything you want but make sure it’s not copyrighted bc that’s a bit of a problem. Many people use pixabay for free images. You can find a ball there, and download the pic! Sometimes they come with a background and sometimes they’re png with no background which is very helpful!

Find Your Perfect Ball Image: 10,000+ Free High-Quality Photos - Pixabay

Here’s some I found:

If you found a ball you really like but it has a background you can download it and use Photopea to remove the bg pretty easily!
I just use the magic wand tool, click the bg, delete, and it turns out great :smile:

Photopea | Online Photo Editor

Many wonderful people also have Google Drives where they have made overlays for you to use, in return you should follow their rules.

Marysol’s bg drive - Google Drive
DIZZYSHADOW FREE DRIVE - Google Drive
@SHOUT.EPISODE FREE DRIVE - Google Drive
amepisode drive
AV3RY.EPI BACKGROUNDS - Google Drive

I hope this made things clearer!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

No problem, and good luck with your story! :gift_heart:

1 Like