How do you guys get your inspiration for stories?

i’ll be honest, sometimes i listen to songs and think of scenarios, use some parts from old dreams i’ve had, or simply just reading other peoples stories. what about you guys?

7 Likes

Heavy on the songs part. I’ve been listening to songs lately and that gives me the vibe of my scene lol. But old dreams, that sounds interesting! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Very similar to you, I get inspiration from songs, dreams, and other stories I read. And very lately I’ve gotten some inspiration from shows I watch.

2 Likes

I draw inspiration from the people, the ideas, the events, and the issues that I witness in real life. When writing a story (for Episode or for something else), I don’t usually plan out every scene. Once I start writing, the actions that the characters need to take next just… make sense. It’s all about knowing your characters. Let your characters introduce themselves to you. Be patient with yourself, and be willing to make changes as you go along.

I could do a whole essay on the things that gave me ideas for my main story Lady Episode: Rise of a Hero, that story has evolved so much from its first glimmer of an idea, and I have a strange sense of gratitude in being able to (someday soon) share this story (and my other stories) with the world.

4 Likes

I get inspiration from shows, films and other type of plots that I enjoy. Like for example, I love How I Met Your Mother and love to see Romantic Comedies being slightly new and different and that was kind of the basis for my new story’s plot. I took the exes to lovers and turned it on its head. I wanted to show what it would be like for a tight group of friends who are split up because of MC’s rejection to marriage. Add the Ex going on a Celebrity dating reality show and that adds more to it. Because I am a lover of reality shows.

I have two playlists on Spotify :sweat_smile: So I totally get what you mean! Oh old dreams sounds so cool!

3 Likes

Omg that plot sounds amazing :open_mouth::open_mouth: I would definitely read it!

2 Likes

ha, definitely the music thing, especially for the current Episode story I’m working on. I’m not a ‘multiple spotify playlist’ type of dude, but this one just had to have one lol. But I also take a lot from my own ideas that haven’t had stories to go with but are already there to use (idk where those come from though.) Definitely mainly from other stuff I’ve read. Or watched! But that’s a bit more uncommon.

2 Likes

Ahh tysm! <3 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I am posting it on June 22nd, on my birthday. I have two in the works, the other is more Vampire Diaries meets Spy Network/Bodyguards. Both have 4 LIs and the second one you can choose who you want to appear in the story and CC them (one of them is limited),
They are called Club for the Damned and How I Met Your Friends.
Then once those are done, I will release another called Curses! (Its like Howls Moving Castle meets Modern Fae World) but thats like not until later this year :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So many projects, that’s amazing!! I’ll definitely be looking forward to read 🩷🥰

2 Likes

Omg, tysm. That’s made my day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m a huge music lover so that’s how I get the “tone” inspo for a story scene but it’s not how I come up with the entire story. Usually it’s just a random thought(s) that morphs into a story idea or (How I got inspo for my first story) from a dream I had, which can get interesting bc my dreams make no sense usually and or I can also lucid dream if I don’t like where my brains movie is going lol

2 Likes

it honestly depends on the dream that i have, usually i remember ones with old crushes and scenes that i felt the most confident in during that dream. sometimes i’ll use names that have a lot of meaning to me whether its hatred, love, friendship, etc.

as of right now i’ve been planning on doing a story where two childhood friends reunite again and fall in love because stuff like that means a lot to me as i’ve had a childhood best friend from kindergarten that randomly moved away one day and i’ve not been able to find them anywhere. but i rather not get into the whole situation lol but that’s basically one thing that inspired a story idea for me.

2 Likes

There’s so many ways. I could get it from reading an Episode story or I could get from watching a movie or TV show. Sometimes, ideas just pop in my head and I get inspiration that way.

1 Like

I just might do a besties to lovers story myself. It’s really an underrated trope.

1 Like