How does the coding for point system like friendship and love for the same character work?

Hi. I need help on how to code LOVE points and FRIENDSHIP points for the same character. Can someone help me please?

Thank you so much!

You can create a character called Love and another called Friendship, and add the points to them.

1 Like

Dara’s guides usually help me understand coding better so here’s her points system one and you can also check out her guides at dara-amarie.com

2 Likes

I’m guessing I have to create the same character twice, right?

I tried to follow but I got a little confused, that’s why :pleading_face:

Yeah, create two random characters (they won’t appear, they just exist to accumulate points), and name them LOVE and FRIENDSHIP. However, if you want the MC to gain these points with more than one character, I would recommend creating more than two.

For example, if the MC can gain points with two characters, you could create four characters called LOVECHAR1/LOVECHAR2 and FRIENDSHIPCHAR1/FRIENDSHIPCHAR2. That way you can separate the points for each character.

1 Like

What if the reader customizes the character? If I make a duplicate of the character, it wouldn’t match the character that the reader customized. How do I create the duplicate character to create a FRIENDSHIP points?

These characters will not appear in your story! You create them with the only purpose of adding points to them.

1 Like

So if my characters names are Aneesh and Dean, how would I code them as FRIENDSHIP and LOVE points? Would I be using the if/elif/elise coding too?

Also, I want it to show:
Friendship +1
Dean appreciates your help!

How do I make it look like that where it shows what points the reader gained and a message under it?

This is what I am getting after making another Dean character:

As I said, you have to create extra characters, not duplicates (they won’t appear onscreen). You create one character with FRIENDSHIP as its scriptname and another with LOVE as its scriptname.

You then code as you normally do, with the MC and LI appearing on the scenes. However, when you want to add points, you add them to these extra characters (LOVE and FRIENDSHIP).

So, for example, if you want to add love points with the LI:

choice
"Choice_1"{
@LOVE +5
#CODE SCENE FOR THAT CHOICE
}"Choice_2"{
@LOVE -5 (if you want your readers to lose points)
}

When you want to let the readers know their total love points at the end of the chapter, go to the ‘Characters’ section on the writer’s portal, select the character called LOVE and copy the last numbers that appear on the site URL. And then you write:

NARRATOR
You have [CHAR CODE HERE] LOVE points with LI.

The same with friendship points with the LI:

choice
"Choice_1"{
@FRIENDSHIP +5
}"Choice_2"{
@FRIENDSHIP -5 (if you want your readers to lose points, it is optional)
}

And, as with love points, when you let the readers see their total friendship points, go to the ‘Characters’ section on the writer’s portal, select the character called FRIENDSHIP and copy the last numbers that appear on the site URL. And then write:

NARRATOR
You have [CHAR CODE HERE] FRIENDSHIP points with LI.

Don’t forget the brackets [-] when you write the character’s code, if not it won’t work.

As for the if/elif/else, you code it with the these extra characters too:

if (LOVE =#) {
#CODE SCENE HERE
} else {
#CODE SCENE HERE
}

or 

if (LOVE <#) {
#CODE SCENE HERE
} elif (LOVE >#) {
#CODE SCENE HERE
}
if (FRIENDSHIP =#) {
#CODE SCENE HERE
} else {
#CODE SCENE HERE
}

or

if (FRIENDSHIP <#) {
#CODE SCENE HERE
} elif (FRIENDSHIP >#) {
#CODE SCENE HERE
}
1 Like

As for this part (which I forgot to add on my previous post) write it like this:

readerMessage Dean appreciates your help! with messageTitle Friendship +1

So the extra characters names are FRIENDSHIP and LOVE, and the scriptnames will be the LI name which in this case is Dean, right?

For example:
CHARACTER NAME: FRIENDSHIP
Scriptname: Dean

CHARACTER NAME: LOVE
Scriptname: Dean

End of chapter:
if (LOVE=1) {
} elise {
}
if (FRIENDSHIP=1) {
} elise {
}

NARRATOR
Would you like to see your points?

choice
“Yes” {

NARRATOR
You have [LOVE CHARACTER CODE] LOVE points for Dean.

NARRATOR
You have [FRIENDSHIP CHARACTER CODE] FRIENDSHIP points to Dean.

}

Is this coding correct?

No, the scriptnames need to be LOVE and FRIENDSHIP. If you write Dean as the scriptname of three characters it will confuse the script and everything will be a mess.

I don’t know what’s the reason for this at the end of the chapter
 Use the if/elif/else when you want different things to happen depending on points or choices.

Yeah, this is correct.

1 Like

Okay, so is this correct?

@speechbubble is 109 333 to 92% with tail_top_right

SOPHIE
(| bold |So, what should I do?)

choice
“Yes, he needs it” {
@FRIENDSHIP +1
readerMessage | bold , color:black |Dean appreciates your help! with messageTitle | bold , color:navy |FRIENSHIP +1

@SOPHIE is text_phone_neutral_loop
@pause for 1
@speechbubble reset
@zoom reset

EXT. END OF CHAPTER - LOVE S
sound music_vintageemosynth
if (FRIENDSHIP=1) {
} elif (LOVE=1) {
}
@pause for 1.5

NARRATOR
Would you like to see your points?

choice
“YES, DUH!” {

NARRATOR
| bold |You have [6094973749886976] LOVE points for Aneesh.

NARRATOR
| bold |You have [6029706682368000] LOVE points for Dean.

NARRATOR
| bold |You have [5748151577673728] FRIENDSHIP points for Dean.

gain yes_safi
}“No, I’m good”{

NARRATOR
No problem.

gain no_safi
}

Isn’t this lacking a choice? There will be only one choice to choose.

Again, this is unnecessary since this if/elif is not conditioning anything.

Now, I’m not understanding this
 Doesn’t the reader collect points with Dean?

1 Like

No no there is another choice. Here I’ll show you my script:

I was just asking because I thought that what you sent before was how you had it in your script.

Anyways, you should erase the if/elif at the end since it’s unnecessary. Also, is Aneesh a LI or the MC? I’m a little confused with the “You have [points] love points with Aneesh” line.

1 Like

No I understand that. My bad. The reason I only showed that small part was because I wanted to see if that’s how I was suppose to code the FRIENDSHIP point part. If the reader chose “No” then no points would be given.

There are 2 LIs
Aneesh and Dean.

Ohhh! I thought Aneesh was the MC, that’s why I got confused. Can the MC gain friendship points with Aneesh or only with Dean? Because if the MC can gain both types of points with both LIs, I would recommend doing something else.

1 Like

The MC can only gain love points with Aneesh and Dean. BUT, the MC’s best friend, Sophie, can gain friendship points with Aneesh and Dean.

The MC’s name is Serena.

I hope that clears up any confusion :pleading_face: