Improve your writing skills here!

I did one of the prompts I came up with and I’m pretty proud of it! I hope you like it.

One Step for Mankind

I woke up dizzy, my surroundings seeming to spin around me. Lifting up my head I noticed pain in my cheek. That’s when I noticed it: My space suit’s visor was cracked. I quickly looked around for something to patch it with but could find nothing. My breathing increased as I panicked, seeing the hull of the ship ripped open.

I covered it with my hand but that was not enough. Air was seeping through and I could hear it whistling. Ignoring my bleeding face and the glass embedded in my cheek, I searched around the ship to further look for something to patch it with but could find nothing once more. I stood there’ ready to take my defeat for when my oxygen tank wore out.

After sitting down for a few minutes I stood again. If I’m going to die, I’m going to die after searching an alien planet. I crawled out from the wreckage and immediately was hit with a gust of wind that nearly knocked me over. Looking around at the landscape I stood in awe.

The tall grass was a light orange colour, the sky illuminated by a sun with two close moons visible in the horizon. The dirt under the grass didn’t contrast it too much, it being a light sandy brown. I walked further away from the ship when I spotted a creature in the distance. I crouched down behind a rock quickly before peeking out from it.

It was a lanky looking creature, with long pointed ears and two large back spikes. It had a long tail and its skin was a grey tone. The most interesting part of the creature was the long hair-like mane it had, it being light green in colour. Then I noticed something.

It was standing over the body of one of my crew members. The creature was bending down every so often, doing what I only could assume was eating. A surge of fear coursed through my body as I hid back behind the rock. Knowing it was hostile, I was much more hesitant to explore. Suddenly I heard quick footsteps and I peeked out from behind the rock. What I dreaded was happening. It was running toward me on all fours.

I ran as fast as I could back to the ship, crawling back inside. I hoped that it couldn’t squeeze in like I did, as I was smaller in frame. It stuck its head through the hole and snapped at me, causing me to back up quickly and bump into the side of the ship. I looked around for some sort of weapon and found a piece of metal that had broken off in the crash and took it in my hand, forever grateful that I was wearing gloves.

The creature backed up out of the hole and I stood in suspense as I waited for it to leave. I heard some sort of liquid hit the side of the ship before I saw it begin to melt. “It spits acid?!” I screamed, unsure about what to do about it. I wielded my poor excuse of a weapon as the metal melted away, waiting to meet my death like my crewmate before me.

Once the hole was big enough the creature lunged at me and I took a swipe at it with my weapon, getting it right in the face. It hissed and growled as it stumbled back and I took my opportunity to stab it right in the chest. It took a bit of force for the weapon to pierce into the flesh, but once it did it started bleeding immediately. I pulled the piece out as the creature opened its mouth wide. Trying to avoid what I thought was going to happen I ducked down, but the acid it was spitting splattered onto my helmet and started melting away.

In more of panic now, I shoved the metal into its throat, piercing the skin quickly as I did so. The creature began to make gargled noises as blood rose up in its throat and mouth, falling back onto the floor. As my helmet melted I knew it was inevitable for me to die—but at least not by this monster.

5 Likes