Improve your writing skills here!

My homework hiatus is done (for now) :relieved::joy:

Don't get caught

Friends are meant to stick together. When we clasped our bracelets on we made a promise. We’d be there for each other, no matter what.

I fiddled with the long piece of frayed fabric. I knew our promise. Would they? It had been some time since we all last spoke. My worries eased a bit when I saw a familiar structure come into view. Potent Brews. An odd choice of a meeting place but a solid one. Although I didn’t enjoy this moment as I usually would. Even the unsavory glances I received from far too drunk men and women were somehow worse. It was 3 o’clock, I was early. Or perhaps I was late, I had been too late to save her after all. I had suspected that she would call me the next day.

Only she hadn’t. Which is why I was here wasn’t it? Because I had assumed I would panic too soon. Yet, in cruel irony I was late.

A ring breaks me out of my thoughts. A vibration tingles my numbed hands as I pick up my cell. “Hello?

Old Walmart, our favorite time, I’ve already called the others.

I’m about to speak and get cut off. She hung up. Isolabella remembers. She remembers. She’s called everyone. I-I need to hurry! I rush out the door just as a waiter comes over. I quickly pass over a small tip and push the door open. I must have looked like a thief but I can’t stop. We’re going to save her.

Isolabella stands in front of the crumbling Walmart. She has some candy stuck in her mouth as she commands the others. Tempest tries to glare holes into everyone near her. Branwen rubs her arms, most likely regretting her outfit choice. Lisha giggles in the corner.

I blink, imagining that this is some sort of dream. “You all came? I thought you wouldn’t… after…

Branwen shoves her calloused hand in my face, its stink repulsive. “Of course we’re here. She might be an idiot but she’s our idiot.

I cover all my feelings of joy and excitement. It would be detrimental for our objective if I suddenly scream with happiness. Still, I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. “Off we go then.

Tempest and Isolabella start first. Their chants soon fade into sweet melodious chirps. Branwen scowls at the ground with contempt. She kicks her shoes off violently and they ricochet to where Lisha stands. Now in place of giggles is a nightingale’s wings beating slightly. Branwen is gone too.

My fingernails dig into my palms. The fresh pain was a relief. I hated transforming. Ever since Melantha. I close my eyes as a memory plays itself, refusing to listen to my screams of anger.

Melantha was drinking, excessively, her arms swung and spasmed in a chaotic manner. I had gotten her to a perfect spot. No roads were near and the air was fresh as could be.

No.

She’s rambling about some nonsense. My arms itch, a tingling sensation tugs underneath my skin. The cool air calls to me, I long to feel my wings spread.

No.

I get up, stretching out my arms. I don’t see anyone around and it is really nice weather.

No. No. No.

My skin recedes, a low hum emanating from it. Feathers scrape against my muscles lightly. Soon I’m flying.

Why?

Then chaos. The images distort and jumble until I can’t make out anything besides the result. Melantha, caught. She gives me a look. They’ve seen a girl transform into a bird. They didn’t see me transform into one.

Please.

The memory stops. I’m in front of the Walmart again. Lisha’s cold eyes stare into mine. She isn’t giggling. “Khalida, focus.

Her fingernails dig deep into my skin. “Friends stick together. Remember the promise.

She transforms within a second. I can’t tell if she could read my mind or if she wanted those to be words of encouragement. I’m not entirely sure I want to know. A low melodious hum fills the air as I spread my wings.

Melantha…

7 Likes