Rules Around Using Episode Art Assets and Community Edits

someone told her about it and i believe she made it free for the public but she also mentioned how joseph evans does it. I think that’s her reason for continuing.

6 Likes

@viasvitae

In a nutshell:

1. As a background/overlay editor, you may share your creations with the community.
    However, you are not entitled to receive any donations or payments for your work (via PayPal, Ko-fi, Patreon, anywhere at all).

2. Avoid putting visibly large watermarks on your work.
    If you do so, it counts as copyrighted material, which will not be approved.

3. You may not upload/use any of Episode’s hidden backgrounds or overlays.
    Again, because of copyright.

21 Likes

Nope. It was me who called her out. It isn’t free

3 Likes

if this is the case, then why are many episode editors having their backgrounds now unnapproved becasue of the watermarks they put on it?

4 Likes

Your last part is incorrect. You can draw the same clothes but they have to be in your own artistic style. Copyright only covers the actual image, not the idea. For example there is a Red Tank asset on Episode, however it is perfectly legal for me to draw a red tank top on a character in an art scene that is in my own artistic style. You just can’t copy the assets identically.

31 Likes

Exactamundo!

6 Likes

How about backgrounds that already is approved? Can we still use them?

3 Likes

welp time for me to finish up my contest entry

2 Likes

if its hidden n approved u cant use it

1 Like

Its approved and created by an editor?

1 Like

To be fair, I believe I’ve seen this floating around on IG and it’s a completely tappable menu where all the options open out so there’s definitely a lot of work behind it.
Of course, it’s wrong to charge for it but it’s not just a simple CC template.

9 Likes

@nataliesky

is your background a hidden background?

No, its made by someone…

1 Like

does it have watermark on it?

Yes it does…

1 Like

small or big

Cut from terms of service page.

Our Terms of Service indicate that Episode characters, materials and platforms (forum, portal and app) are a free service, and the use of these characters and materials provided are solely for personal and non-commercial use . Selling art or images with Episode assets counts as commercial use. This includes edits of Episode characters, altered renders, and composites. Any art sold must be entirely original artwork and cannot use Episode’s art at all.

ESPECIALLY THIS BIT

This includes edits of Episode characters, altered renders, and composites.

any altered or composite art related to episode shouldn’t be sold for distribution. They have designers/artists who create clothes/styles that you are stealing from when you sell commissions like the one above.

I am not incorrect but thank you for your contribution.

Just an overlay…

1 Like