Writing an Hispanic Main Character

So, I’m writing my story, and my main character is Hispanic. Since I’m not Hispanic, and I don’t want to offend anyone, I figured I’d ask about it here.

• Are there specific characteristics I should avoid giving this character & their family?
  • What plot lines could come across as racist/stigmatizing?
  • Language or phrases I should avoid?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

Hello, here’s a post that explains it well…and a couple things I would say is to settle on an ethnicity and do research on their culture, family dynamic, and stereotypes to avoid (there’s lots of videos on that). As for plot lines…I guess drugs/pregnancy/bad at school and only being limited to labor jobs are too commonly associated with Latinos from what I’ve seen. In addition, Latino and Hispanic are broad “identifiers” which are usually safe to use sometimes, but there is a difference. Brazilians are Latinos, but they’re not Hispanic since they mainly speak portuguese and Spaniards are Hispanics, but not Latinos since they’re not from a Latin country/descent. Also, make sure to not make their ethnicity their whole personality, they obvi have their own beliefs/traits as well.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.