DISCUSSION: Dirty Dancing Contest

Well, I’ve never seen the movie, don’t plan to, and I’m not certainly not interested in dozens of retreads thereof, so this contest and its entries are getting a hard pass from me.

3 Likes

I wonder if it’s a legal thing since we’re basically being given copyright permission?

3 Likes

Theres no reason behind it. Pure bias bs.

1 Like

Could be… Who knows? I don’t even care about the contest itself, it’s just I feel, like, excluded from the community? :persevere: Even though there’s a lot of people in the same boat as me, it’s like I feel this divide now

3 Likes

Like wth? If I don’t see the winner use gifs I’m gonna be fucking mad.

Oh I just noticed that you posted something similar above :joy:

I actually have a valid Canadian driver’s license lol however, Episode know that I’m not actually in Canada :see_no_evil:
But in some cases, I wonder how they’d know? I mean, do you need to prove it?

3 Likes

I’m gonna use vpn tbh.

I hope they explain because I’d like to think there’s a valid reason.

With Perfect Pitches, when the contest was first announced they said that you had to be from those three countries to enter but when people complained, they said that anyone could enter, they just wouldn’t be eligible for the grand prize.

6 Likes

For all they know, you’re a legal resident of the US currently on vacation in another country.

I’m an Australian citizen and an Australian resident for tax purposes. I have not been in Australia for over 3 years lol

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that anyone lies to enter. Lying is obviously bad lol. I’m just saying, that it would be hard for them to know without asking for proof.

3 Likes

I’m from Texas ladies. Definitely not Turkey!!

3 Likes

I just don’t understand why they announce these things so blasé. Surely they’d know this will bring a lot of backlash and make them look like hypocrites.

On a lighter note, @EliseC did you see how they clarified the judging? I remember the debate about this for H&V. But not sure if this is for all contests

Entries with retention rates below thirty-five percent (35%) at the conclusion of Chapter 3 will be disqualified. At that point, Entries will be graded on creativity and originality by multiple members of Sponsor’s writing team.

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t see that! I wonder if that’s a new thing :thinking: Or like you said, maybe it’s just for this contest? These rules are a lot more specific than for past contests.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess if you published a similar story outside of the contest, you would probably violate the guidelines. I’m kinda disappointed too, because if it was allowed, I would love to write a movie parody. Since I know the movie, I already had some ideas floating around when I first saw the announcement. Then I finished reading the post.

2 Likes

I’m kinda iffy about it, I mean, wouldn’t it all be pretty much the same? It honestly doesn’t seem like there’s much to be able to do with it. I dunno, that might just be me. The idea is sort of cool, I guess.

1 Like

And I read the ToS, it seems to be like the Sponsor (Lionsgate?) is judging the stories, not the Episode Panel…

I don’t like it that you have to be from the US, so for all the other people they can’t do it :sleepy:

3 Likes

Lmaooo this contest finna suck

2 Likes

No, you don’t have to be. You only have to be if you are to win the grand prize.

Ans iff i want to whin the great price… i will not doing something to get nothing in return.

You can’t win a trip to Hollywood with any other contest?
If you are eligible to enter the contest but not to win the grand prize, then you still win what you normally would: you’d be featured on the shelf.