Diverse characters in stories

What’s a protective style?

1 Like

A protective style is like braids, or dreadlocks. They protect your hair. Especially if you have 4C hair

3 Likes

One of the biggest things about creating good and representative diversity is to not just add in random BIPOC characters, random LGBTQ+ characters, random plus sized characters, etc. Good and representative diversity gives each character their own separate and complex personality. A shallow LGBTQ+ bff that solely gives fashion advice and never has their own arc or back story is bad diversity. A Black friend that only ever plays a supporting, one-dimensional role as well as only refers to the main character as “sugar” is bad diversity as well. Think of each character as their own person. Give them a story, give them development, give them a multidimensional personality. Make sure you understand each and every aspect of the character’s culture, background, starting & end points, etc. One show that gives good diversity is Lucifer. All main characters have their own arc and their own separate and equally important backstory. Create characters with purpose and research and you should be okay.

3 Likes

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about your story. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

oh fr? thx for telling me!!

1 Like

YESSSSS this right here

1 Like

Yes!

True, I want my character to come from Spain or a Latin American country

1 Like

Spain and other South American or Central American countries are very different culturally. Same with the language, although most have Spanish primarily, the dialects are different, meaning different words etc.

1 Like

True. I’m trying my best to study the Latin American countries so I can 1.) Gain a better understanding of culture 2.) decide where Katalina (MC) descended from and her heritage 3.) learn MC’s language and so on

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.