FEATURE: Marking Cultural Assets

I think you don’t really get the point but it’s just Cross = Christianity. It’s not Cross = God/Faith/Spiritually.

I’m from a country where people who weren’t Christians were forced to convert to Christianity during colonization. So saying “anyone who worships or believes in god or other spiritual beings should wear it” is very harmful.

The point of these assets is to showcase the cultural/religious identity of the character so if you put a cross on a character, then I will automatically assume that they are Christian. So if they are of another faith and wearing a cross, it’s minimising their cultural identity.

4 Likes

That’s definitely a good idea! Support!

1 Like

I’m sorry, but you’re contradicting yourself a bit.

To me, as a Christian, the cross is the symbol of Jesus giving his life for our sins. The cross is a symbol of Jesus’s ultimate sacrifice and his forgiveness of sins. It represents the Christian faith (faith = religious belief). So, if someone does not believe in Jesus, how can it still be appropriate to wear the symbol of his sacrifice. Other religions don’t believe that Jesus was a savior, so why would they wear the symbol of his divinity and ability to forgive sins?
I personally see someone wearing a cross, I automatically assume they’re a Christian, just like I would assume someone wearing the Star of David is Jewish or someone wearing a hijab is Muslim (although catholic nuns wear a habit which is similar to the hijab, but worn for the same reasons).
I hate to pull the age card, but perhaps a few courses in religious studies will demonstrate why a non-Christian wearing a cross is misappropriation.

8 Likes

I wasn’t talking about church camp, love. Heck, I went to church camp every summer when I was growing up. I’m talking about college courses on religious studies that cover the actual history and beliefs behind Eastern and Western religions. Don’t think I haven’t read the Bible? I have, cover to cover.
The pre-Christian cross was used as a religious symbol and as an ornament among the Egyptians, Syrians, Greeks, Persians, Europeans, and in some parts of Africa. The Christian cross as a Christian symbol has its roots in ancient paganism. The use of the Christian cross as a Christian symbol began after the time of Constantine, which occurred three hundred years later. After Constantine, the use of the cross was acknowledged as a symbol of Christianity.
Christian Cross = Christian
You said that as a Christian, you believe in your opinion, and it’s not my job to criticize your opinion. Therefore, it is your job, as a Christian, not to criticize mine, either, and my opinion is that the Christian Cross that exists in the Episode portal is synonymous with a character being a Christian. This is an Episode Forum post, not a Bible lesson. This post is about marking assets in the portal as cultural assets so that people can avoid misrepresentation of cultures, including Christianity.

5 Likes

I said you were contradicting yourself because you said it was okay for non-Christians to wear the cross, yet also said that it was “wierd/confusing” if they don’t believe. As far as the “criticism of opinion”, honey, I was just giving your words back at you. I’m always open for criticism because that’s the only way people grow.
“I don’t believe you because it took 10-18 to type it up” Same with you. It takes time to compose thoughts and type. Don’t believe me… one word. Google. Google Constantine and the history behind the Christian Cross.
I said this isn’t a Bible lesson because you keep talking about scripture. Mine wasn’t a Bible lesson… it was historical facts. Nothing you would find in the Bible.
College done. Got my degree. Thanks for asking. Maybe you too should practice what you preach.
Proved nothing wrong, other than you can recall what you’ve already said and argue with no actual facts.

Now, if it’s okay with you, let’s get BACK on topic.

3 Likes

Support!

1 Like

I see that there was quite a discussion while I wasn’t here but hey I love throwing my two cents so here’s what I think:

There are a lot of good and valid points raised here but I think we’re confusing using symbols because it’s socially acceptable and using symbols as a way to show our religion/culture externally. I’m Jewish so I don’t know much about what the cross represents in Christianity, so I’m not gonna comment on that. But facts are, Episode gave us these cultural symbols so that we can let our characters show that they belong to a certain group.

So while I can’t say for sure that the Star of David and the cross are 100% alike (which was a mistake I made in the IG story shown in the thread I attached to this one, because I clearly compared them, but hey, you taught me a lot about it and now I know!)- I can tell you that the intention of these symbols was to give us the option to externally show our characters’ diversity. To a non-Christian, the cross symbolizes Christianity. So if characters who aren’t Christian and have a connection to Christianity start wearing it (and no matter the reason), it’s going to confuse me. The item will lose its intended purpose, which is to let the readers know of the group the character belongs to. Because then I’m gonna lose that automatic “Ah, they’re Christian” reaction I have in my brain when seeing them, because I see them worn for different reasons as well.

5 Likes

Support!

1 Like

Bump! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Believe what you want :grin: I live in a place where you can wear what you want and be who you are

1 Like

Amen! But there’s a right and a wrong—just saying. :smiley: :smiley:

(That emoji will give me nightmares for days).

1 Like

Okie Dokie I am flaggin our comments and I’m gonna stop arguing with you as I said before

Lets try to stay more on topic next time! :grin:

And as I replied with;

Breathes in and out Okay, don’t mind non-christians wearing the cross. In. Just, respect it. Out.

I’ve noticed that while many Christians don’t mind non-Christians wearing the cross necklace, there’s about the same amount who do mind. So… Shouldn’t we just avoid it in order to respect those who mind? I mean, it’s not like it’s gonna hurt someone if a non-Christian DOESN’T wear a cross right?

3 Likes

My point exactly. But being Christian, and following the values, you really shouldn’t care so there shouldn’t be any who really mind. Anywho, you can use it if you want and I, as a Christian, will only mind if you disrespect it.

5 Likes

As a Jewish atheist, I’m bothered by non-Jews wearing the Star of David necklace and I’ve explained why in a different thread. Will copy-paste my comment here, because I truly think that’s the major issue here for people. That’s my issue with misusing cultural items, at least.

5 Likes

What I’m referring to is the Christian cross. I can’t input for other groups I’m not a part of too much as not to show/display any sort of disrespect.

1 Like

I know this is about the Star of David but I think it’s the same for most, if not all cultures :blush:

3 Likes

I was an idiot and sent my last message without replying to you but oh well LOL. Anyway, continuing from there, I think for Christianity it’s easier because it’s a very well-known religion, but it still removes the meaning from the cultural item nonetheless which is probably why it upsets people. And I get that. So to get back to this thread’s topic- let’s mark cultural items to give people a heads-up that what they’re using has a meaning beyond ”being pretty” or ”looking like a wizardry item” :blush:

6 Likes

I agree with you and I’m going to make a post on this real soon!

2 Likes