Nae’s Help Thread ✨(Tutorials, Guides, Etc)

The List
  1. What brushes do you use for hair/skin/clothes and what opacity/size are they usually set at?
  2. Where do you shade/highlight or does it vary?
  3. How do you draw lips, nose, and eyes on ibis (i struggle with these for some reason).
  4. How do you shade/highlight?
  5. When do I need to change layers (like I heard there should be diff. layers for hair outlining then body outlining, hair coloring etc.)
    Thanks if you can answer them and sorry if they’re worded weirdly or something XD. I recently got ibis and I’m lost on everything :see_no_evil:.
4 Likes
  1. I just use Dip Pen (Hard) for everything except facial features and details on hair.

2. You can kinda guess this as you go on. I know a lot of people shade differently so it varies. I just shade under overlapping parts like if the hair is in the characters face or under the characters neck since that’s a darker spot and on both sides of the arms and legs.

3. There’s no clear way or describing it except to practice and watch tutorials. It took me a while to figure out how to draw these things. I usually outline these things with Dip Pen (Soft) and making sure my stabilizer is turned all the way up :sparkles:

4. For shading you’re just using darker tones to make the piece look better. Highlighting uses lighter colors to give a glow or light effect. If you search up light studies in drawings you’ll see where you can shade darker in certain places which will help you know where to lighter up areas.

5. I put facial features, hair outline, body outline, and the clothing outline on different layers. My body outline is always on the lowest layer so I go under it and set the base colors for each part (still separately) that way if I mess up it won’t ruin the rest of the drawing.

4 Likes

Thank you! Just one more thing, sorry if I wasn’t clear but I meant what do you use for coloring those features (hair,skin, and clothes) (unless you actually use dip pen hard).

2 Likes

ℍ𝕒𝕚𝕣 𝕋𝕦𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕚𝕒𝕝

Make sure your detailing layer is separate from your base color layer and that the base color is a darker color✨ You also need to clip the layer and if you don’t know how to just press the button that says clipping above the layer you want to clip it to.

Next you’ll find the brush called Round Brush (Rough) you can also use Round Brush (Real), the Oil brushes or whatever you want. I changed the opacity to 43% since that works for me and the brush size varies depending on how much space you have. Change the color of your brush to a lighter shade.

Make sure stabilizer is on and all the way up if you haven’t already💕

Next you’ll start making strokes that go with the direction of the hair outline. Don’t make any straight lines if you’re working with a curly style. Mix it up and make different strokes in different directions. Hair isn’t stiff or perfect so go a little wild :sparkling_heart:

Make sure you covered up all of the hair. When you’re done you can merge the texture and base color layer and go in with an even lighter tone to add a depth if that makes sense :sweat_smile: If the color is too bright for your liking just change the layer opacity until you do.

Now you can add another clipping layer and use Airbrush (Triangle) to darken it up in areas like the roots and other places.

This is my final result :sparkles: I’ll probably go back and do touch ups if I notice anything that’s looks out of place or bad to me.

14 Likes

Just now seeing this :woman_facepalming:t4: You mean what brushes do I use for shading or texture right?

4 Likes

Yes and colring (sorry if that “coloring” doesnt make any sense, I’ve been told to use the bucket but idk if there were other methods for this.)

4 Likes

I don’t use the bucket anymore since it never really fills in all the gaps. I just use Felt Tip Pen to fill in the base colors. For skin I use Dip Pen Hard then just blur it and then I use Airbrush Triangle. A lot of people have different methods so it’s best if you experiment with the brushes and see which ones work for you :sparkles:

3 Likes

Ok and thanks for the advice!

3 Likes

Next tutorial should be on what? :two_hearts:

• Edits
  • Poses
  • Eyes/Lips
  • Other

0 voters

2 Likes

Hey! I was wondering if u could check out my thread I made for an art teacher because your art is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:amazing

It’s ok if u don’t have time or can’t tho. I will understand

2 Likes

I’m not the best at explaining things so I don’t know if I’d be much help :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Bump :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

That’s ok.
Ur art is amazing btw😘

3 Likes

Thank you :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Bump :purple_heart::sparkles:

2 Likes

how do you get the limbs? I’ve been trying to do the same thing. how do you do it free hand? Also while tracing, how do you clean up the tracing?

you can pm me or something, I have a lot of questions… :point_right:t2: :point_left:t2:

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by free hand or cleaning up the tracing so if you could clarify I might be able to answer those :two_hearts: I use an EA which helps me screenshot characters in different poses and from there I just cut out limbs and other parts so I can reposition them.

2 Likes

I’ll send you a picture cuz I dont think I can explain well :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

So like this when I mean tracing

Tracing

Free hand

Free hand

But like on free hand you do it without like tracing if ya know what I mean…

3 Likes

I free hand a few things like the outfits depending on what I’m drawing. I’m still not exactly sure what you’re asking me :sweat_smile: I don’t think anyone will free hand an entire episode styled drawing. Your example for free hand doesn’t look that different from regular episode style unless you’re talking about freehanding certain things and not the entire drawing.

2 Likes