Unpopular opinion : Popular author behaviour on social media

Imagine saying that just 'cause popular authors have fEeLiNGs, it excuses the fact they harrass and attack readers for the littlest things? CANNOT RELATE

10 Likes

I guess the feelings of those who they sent their followers to harass doesn’t matter… :thinking:

6 Likes

I’ll leave this here. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t think this thread is saying they cannot have feelings and they cannot express themselves, I think its mentioning how some use their social media to rant about a specific person because they KNOW that their followers will come after that person which is what some want to happen. However wrong that may be, they’re allowed to post whatever they want on their accounts because it’s their account. Doesn’t mean they’re not shitty people if they do that though

10 Likes

Having feelings doesn’t mean you can’t be professional. Sure you can start a petty witch hunt after someone but don’t act surprised when people call you out for it :woman_shrugging:t4: it’s just an app, chill out

5 Likes

that is hate speech, I hope you reported their comment so their account can get shut down

4 Likes

Damn Mehasel I know you , I have read ur first chapters of my camps boys! Very good and funny story. I guess you are offended, because you are one of the popular author with more than 1M views ??? No offense tho, it’s just my opinion as a Business Student.
Like I said, there is a limit between vendor and customer. If he starts to makes very disrespectful comments and talk about ur death, this is something else and screw the customer. I am talking about the little situation where authors act like drama queen for nothing. Like a reader asking and spaming for the next chapter and the author would screenshot this and make story on Ig and makes fun of the reader. And I don’t think this is a good behaviour.
Majority of the readers are freaking teenagers of 15 years old, so of course, you will have a lot of immature comments the more popular u are! Im just saying that this is not professional to spill the tea for little things, you know? I wanted to follow authors on Ig, because I wanted to see update and sneak peak.
But it become too toxic when authors are just talking about drama. Dealing with bullshit is a big part of working on Internet. If the authors are hurt and spill the tea for every comments, then you will just get depressif at the end. And it makes me crazy when I know that some of the authors are a MOM. Gosh, Internet is definitly not for everyone.

6 Likes

I’d say some popular authors should learn to handle criticism a little more maturely. Constructive criticism actually helpz a lot :smile:

Remember, no one is perfect. Definitely not moi :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I don’t know… I kinda like it when authors scream at me on social media.

It’s so romantic.

When I’m typing up a story, all I’m thinking about in the back of my head is how I’m gonna get sweet, sweet revenge on those unsuspecting authors by surpassing them in fame.

mWHAHAMWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

|omg i actually laughed out loud when i reread that because i imagined myself saying it while doing the potato chip scene from Death Note|

17 Likes

I love your attitude :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I love you already.

2 Likes

Dangg what an inspirational mindset XD

Hit me up fellow anime fan

5 Likes

Death Note :laughing::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

A mini bump but I was stalking and wanted to share.

I think this goes for small authors as well.

I personally will unfollow any author who posts feely feely stuff. While that does sound harsh, I did not follow authors to listen to rants, or spill tea or like other crap like that. I follow authors for their stories, reviews, recommends and occasional quotes / memes of the day.

I try my damn hardest to never ever share ranting, repost if you agree, share this, other stuff they probably don’t care about. I know recently — (two months ago lol high key my readers think I’m dead) — I shared something like a fan mail that I was mad about but it was also pretty funny and my readers got a good laugh out of it.

7 Likes

I usually find it annoying when popular authors constantly rant about “stop asking me for updates, period” that period thing at the end makes it even more ridiculous. Many people are creating drama for petty things. I don’t get involved other than sipping tea, seeing the baseless catfights.

And there’s a specific group who keeps on using “SJDJWHSHSH” and useless spam. Not my cup of tea. And also, authors who block readers for silly reasons. Such as saying “thank you, next.”

At least treat your audience like living creatures lol.
Update questions are annoying but there’s an option to rant privately instead of making posts/instastories. And that classic “ask me any questions about CC, you’re blocked”

4 Likes

i see a lot of people like that on instagram :sob:

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is related to the community. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

Literally well said. Everyone needs to understand that popular authors on Episode are like popular youtubers - you have a large following, and with that, comes a lot of influence. I can give examples of lots of incidences of this problem.

Moral of the story:
Everyone needs to understand the difference between criticism and hate. There is no need to feel so offended for someone criticising your work. Take it into consideration and move on. Obviously, its a different story when its hate, but it doesn’t mean people need to share it with all their Instagram followers.

Please note that my tone here is nothing but calm and respectful.

Absolutely not. I would encourage you to try to understand what it would be like to see abusive and downright mean comments day in and day out. Authors are still human, and many “popular” authors (honestly I don’t even know what some of y’all mean by popular Bc some of you think that getting 100k reads makes you popular and it really doesn’t) don’t use this as a day job and are here for fun like everybody else. It’s very easy to scold people on decorum when you haven’t had to go through it.

As far as professionalism, if you follow any popular NY Times Bestselling author, they’re not going to put up with abuse either. Many of them full out retweet while snapping back at people who are being rude. Being a reader and contributing to somebody’s income does not mean you own them. ESPECIALLY on a platform where you haven’t taken any money out of your pocket to give to sales. It does not make them obligated to be nice to you and be steamrolled over, and that’s what far too many people think they can do. Authora are humans with feelings and limits also, and they are not obligated to play nice with trolls, haters, or abusers. In fact, I’ve noticed that the nicer an author tries to be when they’re getting cussed out and pummeled, the more they get abused because people see kindness as weakness.

I don’t agree with purposely sending your following after people. It’s probably best to block their name out if the author is going to say anything at all. I also don’t agree with getting mad over every single criticism and attacking readers who say anything contrary to what the author wants to hear.

There has to be some type of balance here. Authors shouldn’t have to endure rude and entitled behavior every day and authors also shouldn’t lash out on readers who don’t lash out at them. Not every popular author is going to attack you just for pointing out a misspelled word or asking for CC. Those are the ones I’m saying should have the right to defend themselves.

I’d encourage people who think that authors are obligated to just smile and nod as they get hundreds of rude messages and fanmail and comments a day to remember that there is a human on the other side of the screen. They have emotions, feelings, bad days and good days. They have stress. Many of them are dealing with traumatic issues they’re not disclosing to their audience. Customer service agents get to go home at the end of the day. Communication on social media is constant. And like it or not, every human being has a limit. It costs nothing to be kind and supportive.

10 Likes

I know this is a serious conversation but I literally started laughing when you said “that’s a bit rude”. Honestly I love this comment with all my heart

1 Like