Why are almost every Mean Girl a POC?

There are countless stories where the main character is White, but the mean girls are POC, just, why?

Kinda like in Demi Lovato the mean girl is Maria, aka Latina. In Kiss List, the mean girl is Asian, like why bruh, why?

EDIT: Not countless but I have seen many, and yes, the blond mean girl trope is annoying, can’t we have diverse characters please.

8 Likes

and in mean girls its Regina, who is blond. I think we actually have pretty good diviersity on this app.

8 Likes

I actually wrote a story which hasn’t a mean girl.
Problem solved :smiley:

7 Likes

I usually hear people upset that the mean girls are always blonde. Haven’t heard this complaint so I hadn’t realized it was a problem. Interesting.

22 Likes

:thinking: Really? Just about every Mean Girl I’ve seen has been:

Lmao I always cover my bases by putting the Mean Girls™ in a pair, one white and one POC, best/worst of both worlds. :v:

28 Likes

they are usually white. often have blond hair, sometimes they shake it and give them black/brown hair. I cant even mention a black or Asian mean girl

this is not regarding episode. but just movies/shows in genereal

7 Likes

Haha that’s funny! I’ve done that too. Oh and randomly throw in a red head.

3 Likes

Seriously? What stories? The sidekick maybe, but never the head mean girl. They’re usually blonde, blue-eyed, and white

8 Likes

I have a mean girl with blue hair. but she is a miner charatere.

4 Likes

Oh wow that’s new to me. I mainly see the POC being the dense friend/follower of the mean girl lol.

19 Likes

Really lol, I see most mean girls usually caucasian and blonde

8 Likes

I’m surprised majority of mean girls are the blonde hair blue eyes. Haven’t seen any of the main mean girls being POC

8 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is about Episode stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

I feel like they’re usually blonde and if it’s LL, they have huge pouty lips and the fake eyelashes.

8 Likes

I never liked pouty lips. I think they look stupid.

1 Like

I have to agree with everyone else here. I haven’t been reading on the app lately but every “typical” mean girl I’ve seen in stories are always blonde/blue eyes/white girls. Maybe screenshot some that aren’t? Or story titles?

2 Likes

Same here

1 Like

Probably because when you think mean girl you think a blonde white girl. Hollywood has made that image ingrained in our head with characters like Sharpay Evans, Regina George and Marriane Bryant.I’m happy to see that stereotypes are being broken and more and more writers are choosing to go against the norm now.

To pull off a mean girl or queen bee role, the character must be powerful and intimidating. So I like to see more people like me in these roles instead of just the best friend to the MC with no personality or purpose within the story.

5 Likes

i only notice this with some episode original stories. they’ve made at least two of their mean girls east asian, which isn’t a lot, but i think those two stories are the only ones with a mean girl. haven’t read any of their new stories for the past few months though

1 Like

People should worry less about the ethnicities of the “mean girl” and more on actually making her a three dimensional character with other goals besides “taking down the MC for breathing next to the hot guy in math class.” :woman_shrugging:t2:

16 Likes