Beginning a story with a white screen and narration?

Hey, lovelies! In my story, I’ve got my first scene as just a white screen and the main character narrating.

I’ve been told that some people don’t like this, so what are you opinions on them? Do you like them, hate them, don’t care about them? Let me know!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do it for long, maybe three or five text boxes or something like that, if I’m tapping 10 times before I start seeing action I’m quitting :sob:

6 Likes

Agreed! I don’t really like it but depending my mood I’ll tap a couple times and just quit if it’s too long lol.

3 Likes

Maybe instead of a white screen, just try to add some action behind it, a scene that relates to the narration the MC gives. It’ll also make the narration more visually pleasing and interesting. White bg usually goes with some trigger warnings or content warnings so people may even tap it just because.

5 Likes

That would put me off… chapter 1 has to have content to really grab the reader, for the right reasons, to make them continue the story
I proof read your first chapter didnt I ?

1 Like

You did! But, I’ve changed it a lot since then.

1 Like

To be honest. I hate it, it irritates me. I agree with @Mi_writes. I don’t mind narration, but try to change backgrounds (and use some background characters doing something). That background characters thing is optional. But don’t let it stay on white or black for more than five text boxes, than it will irritate me and I won’t read further.

2 Likes

It varies for me. Depending on context. However, it is not my preference and it is something that is likely to rub people the wrong way.
If you would like to discuss possible alternative ways to begin the episode, just give more context, or bounce some ideas regarding it, don’t hesitate to reach out :blush:

1 Like

What I do is I try to add smth instead of white background. Add smth about u write so that the reader has visuals too. It’s def annoying as a coder but it’s def more eye catchy than the white bg

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for tour feedback, I will definitely be changing the white background :joy:

1 Like